In our trade of towing and recovery, we enter voluntarily into dangerous situations. Not only do we do this voluntarily, we look forward to it, and once completed–want a do over so we can do it that much better. If you are reading this coming from another trade, you may have some parallels.
Nonetheless, these dangerous situations that we “get” to do have a very specific set of priorities. These priorities, we have gotten into the discipline of reiterating prior to the commencement of our recovery. These priories in order are:
- Safety. Everyone goes home, and nobody gets hurt.
- Damage Free. Our equipment, and the equipment we are recovering is to return in the same condition as when we arrived on scene.
- Successful. We were hired to solve a problem. Often times a problem or situation that others can’t, won’t, or don’t want to. We need to solve our client’s problem.
- Fun. Work is fun. Not every element, for sure, but the successful accomplishment of assigned work is fun and we should appreciate it as such.
- Profitable. The economic reality is not to be taken for granted. We need to earn a profit to stay in business, and our team needs to earn a fair return for their investment of time. Profit is also the learning and building of skill that comes along with a professional job and trade that we embrace.
Having a clear understanding of priorities that every member of the team has heard and understands, increases exponentially the chances of success as measured.
If you would like to discuss this further, please reach out to me any time. If you would like to learn how we approach this in our business and how it can apply to yours, don’t hesitate to ask.